Friday, February 29, 2008

The big to-do over chicken tenders

Maybe it will become a weekly thing that I write about annoying people at sports matches.

This week I got in big trouble because my daughter had invited three of her friends to come watch her play and they, !!!GASP!!!, ate too many chicken tenders. At these sporting events, there is plenty of food because the kids go directly from school to the games and we want to make sure that there is something for them to eat since we sometimes end up being out from about 3 PM until 7 or 8 PM. Let me just preface this whole thing by saying that my daughter rarely eats anything that is brought for the teams. She doesn't like eating beforehand because she feels sick when she plays and afterwards she just wants to wait until we get home and eat what I've prepared for dinner. So most times, even though we have paid for the food, she doesn't partake in any of it which means SOMEBODY eats her portion and never once have we had a cow over her not getting her food allotment (the whole thing sounds so ridiculous when I am typing it out, but trust me, food is serious business here at the games--it's almost more important than the game itself which tells you all you need to know about what I am dealing with here).

Well....I signed up to bring sweets this week and I had made cupcakes and cookies and when my daughter's friends showed up I told them to make sure they went up to the food table to get some of the snacks that I made. Unbeknownst to me, the three of them grab plates and fill them with chicken tenders and tator tots and went off to watch my daughter play. So far so good.

After my daughter finishes, the four of them head back to the table and my daughter gets a plate and takes some chicken tenders and two of her friends grab plates and fill their plates with chicken tenders as well. They march off happily munching away. Not a minute later one of the mothers comes up to me and says, "I don't know how you want to deal with this but those chicken tenders are for the players only and the players only get 2 chicken tenders a piece(there was NO sign telling anyone that there was a limit on the chicken tenders so I call bullshit on that one), and your daughter's friends are eating a SECOND plateful of food."

I think I rolled my eyes but I'm not certain because it seemed like a moment deserving a major eye roll. I replied, "Oh sorry, I didn't realize this was their second time up there but what would you like for me to do about it now...I mean, they already have the food and are sitting down and eating." She says, "Oh, nothing, nothing, I hate being a food Nazi but I just wanted you to know that they are taking the food meant for the players."

Oh, spare me! If there's one thing I can't stand it's a perennially tanned, passive aggressive, bleached blond haired food Nazi denying she's a food Nazi. I saw the huge trays of chicken tenders and no way did my daughter's friends take anything away from the players. I then made it a point to tell her that my daughter typically never eats any of the food so I don't really see why the one time she eats and her friends have a few, there's a major to-do over it. She reiterated that she wasn't being a food Nazi but I call bullshit on that as well since if it wasn't bothering her she just would have shut up and not come up to me in the first place.

This is just the type of thing that people like her LOVE to have happen so that she can gossip about how so-and-so's friends hogged all the chicken tenders with all the other food Nazi moms who apparently stand guard over the food like we've got national security on the line. I'm sure emails were flying amongst them as well because this is the petty stuff these people live for.

In the grand scheme of things, I simply will never understand this type of behavior. When she goes to bed at night does she feel good about being so spiteful and silly? Sadly I think she does. She's the type who volunteers not because she wants to but because she needs something to feel superior about and she never lets anyone forget how much time she's putting in, how much work she's done etc.

I really have had it up to my eyeballs with ridiculous people.

No comments: