Tuesday, September 16, 2008

6:28 PM

I think the days I am happiest are the days that are filled almost to bursting. And it's on these days that are filled almost to bursting that I remember why. It's because I live in the moment every moment. I stop living inside my head. I do not regret the past. I do not worry about the future. I stop chasing peace and peace finds me.

I drove by a man mowing his lawn today. I had my windows cracked just a little. The smell was heavenly and I know this is a silly thing to write about, but I want to be able to come back and read this some day and remember how much I love that smell. Next to the smell of Windex, it might be my all time favorite.

I love all 30 days in September, but I love September 16th the best because it's my son's birthday. I am incredibly lucky to have him. I wish him the all that's good in this world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of freshly cut grass too, as well as lemon pledge. It reminds me of being a child and my mother cleaning. This post really made me smile, thank you. And Happy Birthday to your son.
Hugs, Tammy

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

While I don't think I saw it this way at the time, and it wasn't the safest practice, I have incredibly fond memories of mowing the lawn barefoot when I was a teenager--the smell, the peaceful motion in walking circles around the lawn, even the way my feet turned green....
I think the best days are usually the ones when we think the least. As Stendhal wrote: "to think is to be full of sorrow"...actually, I don't know how much I agree with, but, like most things, it's true up to a point....